Juggling work and being a fitness mother and wife is not an easy task. Any tips and tricks you can gather to make it easier to run your household is a bonus! Finding time to cook nutritionally and workout are two of the biggest complaints women have these days. The key is to fit it into your lifestyle. By making fitness a part of your entire family’s life you eliminate the time crunch of trying to be and do everything for every person in your family.
Adding fitness to your family’s life
- Make Family Friendly Meals – from right when your children start eating food start with healthy and fresh food. That seems easy enough but it is hard in today’s society with the excess of prepackaged meals and snacks. Instead of making two meals – one for you and one for your children try one! It isn’t as hard as it seems. Trade the grilled cheese and mac and cheese for some great healthy protein packed meals that you both can enjoy. Toddlers and children can eat fish, grilled veggies, fresh fruit, chicken, quinoa, salads and it is a healthy pattern to start them off in the right path in life. Nutrition will follow them all of their life.
- Make Ahead Meals and Freeze or Cut Up – after grocery shopping it is a good time to cook up some chicken and cut up for the week to toss into stir fries, salads, and pastas. Cut up fruits and veggies for the week for quick access for everyone in your home. Bake and freeze casseroles, cook and freeze meat as well portioning out for easy defrosting for busy nights. A few hours of prep will make things a lot easier for you all week long!
- Get Everyone Involved – walking, biking, running as a family are great fitness activities to get everyone involved. Getting a good solid jogging stroller will help you a lot when your children are young. Some even convert into a bike carrier as well.
- At Home Fitness Videos – another great fitness idea is to do stay at home fitness videos. This can be done at any time with minimal equipment right in your own home. It can be done before work, on lunch, nap time for small children, before bed. Don’t stress out about needing a full hour to complete a workout. Make it work for you! Maybe all you can get in is 20 minutes a day – great! Maybe you can run or bike with your child and then at night you can spend 20 minutes on some circuits with weights (body weight or free weights). Make fitness work for you. Working out at home has many benefits including keeping down the costs. There are no monthly fees, no driving time to and from, no fancy workout clothes needed, no childcare to pay for. Getting into a good fitness routine is important in the success of any fitness program. Making it easy and affordable with at home programs is a good way to achieve this. Combining outdoor cardio and indoor muscle toning and strength training programs will help you stay fit and have fun doing it.
- Have Everyone Take Vitamins – have everyone in your family stay healthy and thriving by having all members of your family taking vitamins. When everyone takes them at the same time it is a lot easier to not forget as well! Keep healthy and keep sickness away. Also another great addition for the entire family is omegas and greens.
- Use HIIT Training for Fast Results – HIIT training is a great way to get fitness results fast.
When you add HIT (High Intensity Training) to your workout program you can spend half the time while burning fat as much as 2x faster.
- Too much cardio exercise can be tough on your joints and ligaments.
- Too much cardio exercise may lead to burning muscle instead of fat.
- Cardio exercise at a slow and at a steady pace burns far fewer calories.
- When it comes to fat loss, you need to have negative energy expenditure. It doesn’t matter what type of food you consume. What does matter is how many calories you burn versus how many calories you consume.
- Sleep – enough sleep for every member of your family may seem like common sense but really is so important in a healthy and happy family. When you have enough sleep fitness it easy to have in your schedule. You will have enough energy to do any fitness program that you choose. When everyone is on a sleep routine that has 6-8 hours of sleep for an adult and 10-12 hours of sleep for toddlers and children all at similar bedtimes and wake up times that helps to plan your day out as well.
Here is a great recipe for the whole family:
Healthy Avocado Salad Recipe
Author: Women’s Fitness Expert Flavia Del Monte
Source: – http://www.flaviliciousfitness.com/blog/2012/09/06/healthy-avocado-recipe/
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Try this delicious healthy fat salad. Know one will believe you are dieting!
- 2 oz organic chicken breast, cooked and sliced
- 1 strip organic bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 oz avocado, sliced
- 1 cup lettuce (of your choice)
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 oz blue cheese
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 lemon
- sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Place everything but the meat and dressing items in a bowl, one item at a time for presentation.
2. Add oil, balsamic vinegar and squeeze lemon on top. Finish off with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place chicken and bacon on top and enjoy.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 340 Fat: 24g Sugar: 3g Protein: 21g
Additional Serving Options
Try grilling your chicken with chipotle or cajun spices for a little extra kick.
Instead of bacon, try using turkey bacon and decrease fat by 3g and lower the calories by 35.
Working, being a mother, being a fitness woman, being a wife, being a cook and housekeeper is a unique balance. It requires planning, effort, support and commitment. By making fitness a part of your entire family’s lifestyle you make it easier to stay fit, and even better, your entire family benefits from staying fit as well.