Periods can be annoying at times. It is responsible for the headaches that one might face. It can even make your stomach ache. Irregular periods on the other hand are even more complicated. These are also at times an indication towards some serious health issues. The menstrual cycle of each woman is different as compared to another woman. For some the menstrual cycle can occur after 28 days and for some it can occur after 35 days. Therefore, there is no fixed date of a menstrual cycle among different woman. A regular period lasts at least 5 days. To know when you have your menstrual cycle the best things is to mark the calendar for two consecutive menstrual cycles and then you will come to know almost when you have a menstrual cycle. Irregular menstruation is nothing new. It happens to many women in their reproductive years. On an irregular menstrual cycle, abnormal bleeding takes place as compared to the normal bleeding that takes place during the regular menstrual cycle. Irregular menstruation in women includes issues like to miss periods, period occurring twice in a single menstrual cycle and heavy bleeding.
Causes of Irregular Menstruation
Irregular periods are a signal towards the fact that there might be some misbalance with the hormones of the body. Progesterone and estrogen are the two hormones in the body that cause a period. Various parts of the body store these hormones. These parts include hypothalamus, ovaries and pituitary glands. Ovulation and menstruation in a woman’s body occur when these parts send signals to each other. The other organ does not receive these signals properly and that is the reason why irregular menstruation takes place. There are several reasons why this improper signal issue takes place. These reasons are as follows:
- Pregnancy is one the major reasons behind the irregular menstruation. When a woman is pregnant, then she does not get a period. This is because the hormone levels during pregnancy undergo many changes.
- Stress is also another most common reason for the cause of irregular periods. Hormones get unbalanced during stress.
- Diet is also a major reason behind the irregular menstruation. Weight gain and weight loss can actually lead to hormonal changes.
- Menarche is the very first menstrual cycle of a girl. It takes a few years for the menstrual cycle to get regular.
- Menopause is also another situation where a woman goes to many hormonal changes.
- Hormonal birth control tablets can also change the total hormonal activity.
Symptoms of Irregular Menstruation
The symptoms that are involved in an irregular period are as follows:
Timing of the period: A period that happens in an unusual time can be as an irregular period. The abnormal period might occur 21 days before the period cycle or 45 days after the period cycle.
Unusual Bleeding: If a woman has a heavy bleeding, then it is understood as a symptom for an irregular period. If a woman has a very little bleeding like spots, then it also is a symptom of irregular bleeding.
Missed period: A woman does not get a period until 90 days in the case. In these situations, it a pregnancy test is advised to the woman to make sure that she is pregnant or not.
Treatment of Irregular Menstruation
There are several reasons for the irregular menstrual cycle to occur. Depending on the reasons it is determined if irregular menstruation can be treated or not. If there is some medical condition because of which irregular menstruation is taking place, then in those situations treatment to the patients must be provided. These treatments do benefit the patients. One can regulate the periods these are by several ways:
- One should try to avoid taking stress. Meditation, yoga, and doing whatever you like are another best way that one can do to regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Eating disorders are something that one should keep a check on. Improving the eating habits would not only help in regulating the period, but rather it would really help the body in many ways.
- Exercising is good for health, but doing a lot of exercise is also not good at times. Thos who have irregular period must avoid exercising a lot.
The regular period is possible to have by using various medical treatment methods. Some of these methods are:
Hormonal Contraceptive use helps in regulating the menstrual cycle. These medicines contain both estrogen and progesterone. These hormonal contraceptives are available in ring, oral, patch and injectable forms as well.
Hormone supplements help in regulating the overall hormone level and thus help in regulating the menstrual cycle.
Irregular menstruation is a disease caused due to a miscommunication between organs. The hormonal levels are the one that is responsible for this miscommunication. Irregular period is not a fatal disease. It is something that a lot of woman faces. Several issues can occur due to the irregular periods, which are as follows:
A Polycystic Ovary syndrome is a very common disease that affects several women. In this disease, cysts form on the ovary that acts as an obstruction during the process of ovulation. Acne, Dandruff, and high blood pressure are some of the symptoms that are associated with this syndrome. If this issue is not treated, then it may lead to some serious issues like heart disease and so on.
Inflammatory bowel is responsible for causing the inflammation of the bowel. It is associated with the irregular periods. Weight loss and diarrhea are the symptoms of the inflammatory Bowel movement. If this disease becomes serious then you must hospitalize or go through a surgery as well. It is not a fatal disease. Those who suffer from this disease must understand that this is not a bad thing. They must try to follow the above-mentioned methods to get well soon. It is important to get yourself checked to see if this is because that you are pregnant. If one follows necessary precaution, then there is no way that one cannot expect a speedy recovery.