Pain behind the knee is one of the most common conditions people can experience because of the sheer volume and intensity of physical activities one has to go through every day. However, it is important to note the main reason why we may experience pain behind the knee.
This article will focus on the reasons behind knee pain as well as giving you certain tips on how you can relieve the pain properly and without any complications.
The Main Reason
Usually the main reason behind the knee pain is the overuse of the knees as well as having poor form during exercise. Here are other possible reasons for the pain as follows:
- Lack of warm up and cool down exercises during physical training
- Being Overweight
Why do we experience this?
People tend to experience this when the knees are not able to support the whole body weight of the person. If this happens, pressure is applied on the knees which would cause severe pain for the person involved.
Causes of Knee Pain
Here are some of the most common causes of knee pain.
- Pain in the anterior part of the knees
- Arthritis (all kinds)
- Baker’s Cyst – this refers to a condition where in there is a serious buildup of fluids that cause swelling behind the knee. This comes with arthritis often.
- You can also get pain behind the knees from a condition called Bursitis. This refers to the inflammation of knee due to applied pressure on it which happens on a regular basis.
- You will also experience knee pain if you have a dislocated knee. In addition to this, torn ligaments in the knee can also cause this. Sprains and strains on the knee could further aggravate this.
- Another reason would be having knee injuries.
In addition, there are also some less common conditions that can lead to having the pain. Bone tumors as well as the Osgood-Schattler disease can cause knee pain.
Caring for your knees at home
However, there are certain ways by which you can take care of the knee pain at home. Here are some of the most helpful tips that you can do to take care of your painful knees.
- Rest. Do not do any strenuous activities that may add to the pain in your knees.
- Apply cold compresses or ice.
- Make sure that your knees stay elevated
- Compress the knee by wearing ace bandages
- You can also take pain medications like ibuprofen.
- In addition, sleep with a pillow in between your knees or under it.
Always remember that you can prevent this too. You just have to follow some important steps so that you can prevent yourself from experiencing the pain.
- You should gradually increase your activity level in due time. Do not do everything at once.
- Always do warm ups as well as cooling down exercises in a regular basis.
- Also, make sure that you can get the right pair of shoes for your physical activities